Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire
|The Alexandria, Loudoun &
Hampshire was built as a competitor to the Baltimore & Ohio --
collecting northern Virginia products and delivering them to the port of
Alexandria, Virginia. The road was chartered in 1847, but construction
only began, after a name change, in 1855. It was completed to Leesburg, Virginia in
May 1860 and went no further before the war.
Union troops took over the road in May 1861. One locomotive (the Clarke) and train was captured; two locomotives (McKenzie and Manning) escaped to the South, hauled from Leesburg by Capt. Sharp's force..
|Black's Number||2 (map) (map)|
|Track||38 miles of 4 foot 8 inch gauge 52# T-rail|
|Locomotives||3; 4 names|
|Officers||All of 1861|