|The road was chartered in 1851 to
connect Clarksville, Virginia to Ridgeway, North Carolina and to serve
the very productive tobacco production of the area. It opened for
service from Manson to Clarksville in 1854. 30 miles, to Keysville,
had been cleared or graded by late 1861.
In 1861, Lee recommended the completion of this line to a junction with the Richmond & Danville Railroad to lessen Richmond's dependence on the Petersburg Railroad. Nothing was done because of the very poor condition of the Roanoke Valley Railroad. This dependence was removed when the Piedmont Railroad was completed.
The road's rails were removed during the war to build and maintain more important roads.
|Black's Number||17 (map) (map)|
|Track||22 miles of 4 foot 8 inch gauge 50# T-rail|
|Locomotives||2; 3 names|