|This road was chartered in 1852,
construction began in 1858 and was completed to McIver's in late 1860.
Confederate authorities had the road extended to Egypt, with completion in 1863.
In 1862, the road indicated an intention to extend to the North Carolina
RR and then into the Yadkin River Valley. The road connected the coal pits
of Egypt to Fayetteville, North Carolina, a port on the Cape Fear
River. Coal was taken down the river to Wilmington for use by the
Confederate Navy and the blockade runners and for distribution to other
southeastern locations by railroad. It was frequently call the Coalfield
There was a connection from the road to the Fayetteville Arsenal and Armory by 1862, but its length and date of construction are unknown. If the two orders we have for ties are for the entire spur, it was about 6/10 mile long.
|Black's Number||22 (map)|
|Track||44 miles of 4 foot 8 inch gauge T-rail; 11 miles of 56# and 33 miles of 52#|
|Locomotives||3; 3 names|