Tennessee Coal & Railroad
|The road was chartered in 1852 as
the Sewanee Railroad, construction began in 1853 and was
completed in 1860. The road connected the Tracy City coal mines to the
Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad at Cowan.
The company reorganized in 1860 under the Tennessee name. It was seized in 1861 because 10 of its 12 directors were residents of New York. The Confederated Army operated the mines and railroad until evacuating the area in 1863. During the time the Confederate Army operated the mines, they went back under the Sewanee name. All railroad equipment was evacuated to the south.
|Black's Number||Part of 68 (map) (map)|
|Track||20 miles of 5 foot gauge of unknown type and weight|
|Locomotives||2; 2 names|
|Cars||At least 36|